Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What is a Chalk Time?

My non-military friends may wonder what a "Chalk Time" is. To give you a simple break down, a chalk time is the time assigned to a unit to get ready to go out on a mission or to proceed through the process line in preparation for a deployment. For the latter, a military member can expect a lot of hurry up and wait, dragging bags, and being barked at by some die hard admin chair warmer.

I chose to start this blog with this simple definition but it also seems to be an analogy for my life. Sometimes it seems as though I have no idea where I am going. The big deployment coordinator upstairs is directing my life and its as though I stand in a long line just to pick up some bags that appear to do nothing for me but weigh me down. I know deep down that those bags are full of gear that will no doubt help me on the battlefield but until the time of their use, they are only a hinderance. And most of the time, I don't even know what line I am standing in. Is this the line for the bathroom or for the finance briefing? Has anyone seen my power of attorney?

In this blog, you will notice that names have been changed to protect the innocent. Much of my current job is a lot of paperwork and ever-changing policies and guidelines that I am convinced are present just for my annoyance. Although there are many things about my job that I like, those down sides seem to over power, much like a small burnt morsel of food will over power the smell of a delicious meal. For this reason, I will call my job "the suck." My boy, who I love very much will be my little "buddy". My beautiful wife will be my "sweetie".

To all who have made it this far, welcome to my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment